So here are the definitions of bunting:
1. A light cotton or woolen cloth used for making flags.
2. Flags considered as a group.
3. Strips of cloth or material usually in the colors of the national flag, used especially as drapery or streamers for festive decoration
4. Any of various birds of the family Fringillidae, having short, cone-shaped bills and brownish or grayish plumage
5. A snug-fitting, hooded sleeping bag of heavy material for infants
(Thank you Freedictionary)
I think number 5 is the reason for the confusion - the knitted or crocheted pod shaped sleeping bags that are now so popular and used in newborn photo shoots are also called bunting.
So... our little flowers are little "flags" strung up to use as decoration in a little girls' bedroom, to brighten up your kitchen, as decoration for a party... etc. etc.
Here's my version of bunting - teeny tiny flags - the only crocheted item I have actually made for myself and kept!
Thank you for all the comments and support (and questions!) - keep 'em coming...